Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Less Water, Less Gallowaying:

Although I have entered "Maintenance Mode," or "Winter Mode," or whatever you want to call it when you stop entering races and run just enough to maintain your current level of fitness, I have still been running well nevertheless.

As the blog article title suggests, I've been trying to wean myself from ( Jeff ) "Gallowaying," a.k.a. a run/walk style, which means I have to complete my 5k'S without many, if any, walk breaks.

I am learning to do this well, and not only have been maintaining my fitness, but continue to improve.

There is a big debate on the Internet whether Jeff Galloway is a saint, or misleading people, all I know is that he firmly believes in his system, and that it helped ( and still does to a limited extent ) me greatly for a long time.

This automatically forces me to take in less water, since I simply cannot drink while running fairly hard, and the result has been that I've been able to keep up a relatively quick pace overall, even though I've dramatically cut back on mileage.

2 comments:

sneakersister said...

Thanks Oscar.

Enjoy your maintenance season, I'm looking forward to getting into mine.

Oscar Yeager said...

I was enjoying it for awhile, until my running stopped improving.

I'm doing well with the weight workouts, but seriously have to find some sort of solution to the running thing.

If I can't at least set a new treadmill PR within the next 5 weeks, I will probably decide to up my mileage even though I don't want to.