Friday, April 3, 2009

New PR, Well Sort Of:

In my last blog post, I stated "Perhaps tomorrow, or Monday I'll nail it." ( A new treadmill PR )

It was actually Tuesday, and with what I call a "freelance" run.

You see, I was having much trouble setting the PR with the pre-programmed same old session I had set for myself, and had run many times ( but with needing breaks ) on the treadmill, so I decided to temporarily abort that, and run with full manual control.

I beat the old 5K PR by 7 seconds. What inspired me to mix things up was the reading of a weight-training article.

It said that a bench-presser does not go from a 600 Lb max to 650, most weight-training PR'S are set using 2 1/2 pound weights, the smallest weight that will fit on each side of a standard Olympic-size weight bench set. So 600 to 605 would be more normal, well for a world-class bench-presser anyway.

That made me realize that I needed to put my treadmill on manual control, and shoot to beat my old PR by only one second, well it turned out I beat it by 7, but that is beside the point.

The thing is, I really knew this a long time ago, but my treadmill pre-program controls require large leaps in time to beat your old PR, it won't allow you to set the goal-pace for one second quicker.

I guess I got caught up in all the new gadgetry on my new treadmill compared to the old one. Often times, the old ways work better, they are more tried and true, not just fads.

I'd like to send out a big "UP YOURS!" to all of you engineer types, that think the more complicated gadgets and controls you can build into an object, the better.

I think I'll resume the old one-second-at-a-time approach, as long as you see progress you are happier this way, don't try to do too much too soon.

No comments: