Saturday, March 28, 2009

3 Months, No PR, Grrr!:

Well, today marks exactly 3 months since my last training PR.

I'll make up a quote here:
"A treadmill PR is as good as a race PR."

My treadmill is currently programmed for a new PR 5K pace, ( 20 seconds faster than my previous PR, and on a steep incline ) but I always have to jump on the side rails during the fastest segments, and have been unable to complete the program without extra rest breaks.

No, I haven't run yet today, maybe today is the day, I believe I'm on the verge of another breakthrough. Thankfully I don't have to go on another business trip for about 6 more days, so I really need to lick another PR before then.

All speedwork, everyday until this happens, or I have to leave on a trip.

In an attempt to get motivated enough to set another personal record, I self-penalized myself by refusing to run outdoors in a race or even solo until I set another treadmill PR.

I know lots of runners hate treadmills, but since I get obsessive over numbers they are the ideal training tool for me. It's actually hard for me to run outside, I have to pretend that there is a belt moving beneath me since that was the advice given to me by an elder, more experienced white runner who was familiar with my situation.

That advice has really helped me, since I used to get all caught up in the paces others were running and trying to match certain people instead of running my own race and just letting the chips fall where they may.

*Update - Just finished my run. No PR, but I came pretty damn close to it, so I'm not upset at all. Perhaps tomorrow or Monday I'll nail it?

No comments: