Saturday, October 20, 2012

Bite Back For A Cure 5K
 October 20, 2012:

Today I raced in the Tick-Borne Disease Alliance's  5K race held at "The Crossings" Park in Colonie, Jew York. I have raced on this course before, it is my most hated course to run on to date. It is just so damn flat, and for some reason, I just don't put in good times here.

But like always, I tried my hardest, despite the fact I am far from top running form due to outside distractions taking away too much time for any serious training lately.

Funny thing is, I actually lead the whole race for a significant distance at the start, I think the reason for this was the talent pool was quite poor despite a good turnout, and although they provided the usual snacks, water, sponsors, etc. that you find at your typical 5K, no actual race bibs were issued even to the paid-up registrants.

My gripes include no visible volunteers on the course pointing you which way to go, not even one water station the whole 5K etc., and I don't know of any published results if they even exist. They did have little blue marker poles every now and then, but I almost made a wrong turn at one point, this just shouldn't happen at a 5K.

I did run my stopwatch, so I know what my personal time was, but that's about it.

They did mention that most of the participants had relatives afflicted by Tick-Born Disease, I guess that was their "excuse," and probably a legitimate one to explain the lack of speed-demons and the other things I mentioned.

Their goal was to raise $20,000, and before the race even started they were well above $10,000.

I do view this as a good cause, and so I didn't bandit the race.

"Miss Teen New York" was there whatever the hell that is, ( She was wearing one of those diagonal ribbons like they have at the beauty pageants identifying her as such. ) I did bring my camera and wanted to ask her if I could have my picture taken with her, ( She seemed readily available to approach, and damn, she was hot as hell! ) but I was having bathroom issues after the race and they were totally out of toilet paper!

Actually, they had a spare roll that I could see, but it was in a locked plastic box right next to the exhausted roll, so I couldn't even get to it, and had to make a hasty exit!

I don't consider that to be the fault of the Tick-Borne Disease Alliance, I just think the park facilities themselves are not meant to accommodate a crowd that size.


Also, I didn't do a "mud count," ( Counting the number of Niggers, Asians, Mestizos, Jews, etc. ) but this was probably the most white-race-filled 5K I've ever participated in, I guess even ticks don't like the taste of mud race or Nigger blood!

I chalk up any short-comings that I found in this race to my opinion that the Tick-Borne Disease Alliance is more concerned with raising money for their cause than they are catering to 5K racers, and they should be, since they don't lie and claim otherwise like a lot of other events try to do.

If some serious racers would make some suggestions on how to properly coordinate a 5K, I'm optimistic they may have some ears and make a few positive tweaks.

Oh well, I was happy to get this race in, and it will be a great memory.

No comments: